Age

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Friday, July 10, 2009

What is Achondroplasia?


When the doctor called me through the phone and inform that our baby was diagnosed with Achondroplasia, I don't even know what it is all about. Asking the doc to spell the word, I quickly type in google to find out the thing.

Wikipedia define the word as a type of autosomal dominant genetic disorder that is a common cause of dwarfism. Achondroplastic dwarfs have short stature, with an average adult height of 131 cm (4 feet, 3-1/2 inches) for males and 123 cm (4 feet, 1/2 inches) for females.
The prevalence is approximately 1 in 25,000.

I put down the phone and immediately called my sister as she is also a doctor. When I mention the word, she then explain that achondroplasia baby will grow up but not that tall. In other word, my baby will grow up as a dwarf. But yet she mention to wait until the baby come out and see how was it. She advicesd that we have to be emotionally prepared on any consequences that might happen.

Deep inside my heart, I was worried, hoping what the doc said was wrong and hope our baby will be just fine. We do pray hoping for miracle to happen and our baby come out just normal like others.

Upon that discovery, I told the story to my peers at office and most of them wished everything would be fine. One of my peer said, we do not know the future of our baby, maybe he could be someone that nobody could be and bring luck to our family. Yes, who knows and I only wish the best for our baby.

Yes, it is not that easy to accept what the doc was said. We still keep on pray..pray..pray.. and hoping the miracle will happen until one day I ask one Ustaz to say a pray for our baby and he replied, 'God created every single things for reason. No worry with what God give us and believe there must be something special in it.'

That special words inspire me a lot, and we believe our baby is a special gift from God and we are the special parents to receive that gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment